About Vickery Meadow Summer Academy
.Many students would not read/write or hear/speak English all summer
.Many would not eat well, or even leave the apartment because parents work and are afraid to let them play outside
.Students are better prepared and inspired to enter school in the Fall after 4 weeks of the Academy
Spring Semester 2010, twelve McShan Elementary third grade students were selected for in-depth tutorial support by a volunteer provided through Preston Hollow Presbyterian (PHPC), in English Reading Comprehension, to better prepare students for TAKS. Subsequent TAKS testing resulted in five of the twelve students passing. For some students, this was the second time they had not passed TAKS.
Tutorial support continued to the end of the school year in an effort to further reinforce reading comprehension skills with these twelve students. As the school year drew to a close, recognizing a continuing, deep need within these students, the volunteer approached Vickery Meadow Learning Center to coordinate a summer reading comprehension program, inviting those same twelve students, and four of their cousins.
Not only did these students need English reading skills development, but also development in classroom discipline, independent work ethics, and self-confidence.
During the school year 2010-2011, sixty McShan Third Graders received in-depth tutorial support at VMLC from the volunteer. These students were Spanish-speakers who took the TAKS in Spanish, and whom had difficulty reading and writing English.
Those sixty 2011 students plus the 16 students who were in the 2010 Summer Reading Program were invited to participate in the VMLC 2011 Summer Reading/Writing Academy.
Requirements for acceptance into the 2011 Summer Academy at Jack Lowe were more stringent than in 2010, emphasizing parental support, perfect attendance, and after school reading and writing projects.
In 2012, 180 second through sixth grade students from McShan Elementary School were invited to participate in our 2012 Summer Reading/Writing Academy.
in 2012, Another 47 students attended a Science Camp conducted simultaneously by Vickery Meadow Youth Foundation.
Our 2014 Partners were:
- Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church
- Martha Stowe and Vickery Meadow Youth Development Foundation and Eagle Scholars
- Shanekia Sanders-Brown, Summer Principal, and David Casco-Asst. Summer Principal-Jack Lowe Elementary
- Marcus Brown, Jack Lowe/Tasby Head Custodian
- DISD Facilities and Summer Food Program Teams
- Anita Siegers and North Park Presbyterian Church
- Pam, Kaylee and Larry Little - Ace Fences
- Nancy Lubar and Temple Emanu-El
- Youth from Greenhill, Hillcrest, Ursulin, Jesuit, Townview Magnet, Conrad HS, Dallas International School, Lake Highlands HS, and Hockaday
- /Lake Highland/Richardson – Heather Noel and Allison Wisk
- Rozann Hermann and Jewish War Veterans, Ladies Auxiliary #256, Dallas
- First Republican Women's Club - Dallas County
- Highland Park Presbyterian Church
- Northway Bible Church
- Hugo Espiritu -Picasso's Pizza *******
2015 Academy Location:
Jack Lowe Sr. Elementary
7000 Holly Hill
Dallas, TX 75231
Tues- Thurs: 8:30AM - 11:30AM
July 16 through August 8, 2013
Home Office Location:
4809 Cole Avenue #375
Dallas, TX 75205
To make a donation to Vickery Meadow Summer Reading Academy, please visit http://www.donorbridgetx.org/
, please enter Vickery Meadow Youth Development Foundation
, then please hit the donation button. And THANK YOU!